Saturday 19 March 2011

Getting closer...




The day is nearly upon me. I've been trying to get as much training in as possible, which has not been easy with a new job and trips to Scotland and Sussex to squeeze in, but I've somehow managed it. Today's long run was 20 miles, which brings me up the mileage I needed to be ready for the Marathon, which is now only 2 weeks away. It's an exciting time, to say the least, but I will confess that I am also more than a little bit scared. When I posted the Estimated Provisional Course a little while ago, I had a look at the course, and didn't think it seemed that bad. However, I was down in Sussex the week before last, and took the opportunity to drive around part of the course...and it scared the life out of me. It seemed to be 26 miles of constant steep uphills and downhills, and this meant seriously downgrading my expectations; I was now hoping to complete the course, rather than aim for a particular time.


In the last few days, however, there have been a couple of small boosts to my morale, the first being the Final Course Map being posted online, which has reduced the scale of the course somewhat, and perhaps cut it down to more manageable levels (for example, the final 3k are no longer a continuous uphill, rising sharply for the final few metres)! I feel a little more positive as a result, to say the least. The second boost has been receiving my fundraising pack from my chosen charity, The Stroke Association. They have sent me sponsorship forms and a natty running vest, which I shall be pinning to the back of my Valley Striders vest.


Most importantly now, as the date draws ever closer, I am looking for your help. Please donate some money to help a great cause at www.justgiving.com/mhmarathon2011 (as I write the total stands at just £20), and please send me tweets of encouragement to get me through the next 2 weeks (#mhmarathon2011).

Right now, I need all the help I can get!

No comments:

Post a Comment